Hardware options for running openvpn server

This forum is for general conversation and user-user networking.

Moderators: TinCanTech, TinCanTech, TinCanTech, TinCanTech, TinCanTech, TinCanTech

gb7777
OpenVpn Newbie

Hardware options for running openvpn server

Post by gb7777 » Sat Apr 29, 2017 9:53 am

Hi,

I've been trawling the web for information on performance of routers/NAS's capable of running an openvpn server at home. It will be used to access CCTV/NAS/Homenetwork/Localisation (i.e. so I can watch iPlayer when abroad).

The areas i'm concerned with are:

1) Performance. Currently on BT Infinity so 20Mb up, but likely to switch to FTTP during the lifetime of the server hardware I choose.
2) Security. Prefer an off the shelf solution that will receive security updates. This will be the only public pinhole to my home network and don't want to maintain a self build myself.
3) Power consumption/Noise/etc. Want something efficient and not too noisy (going in eaves, but will still hear it if it is very loud) as it will be running 24/7.

Based on those i've narrowed it down to a NAS (Synology/QNAP) or new router (Asus RT-AC3200 or equivalent). I'm buying a new NAS anyway to host some new WD REDs for CCTV storage and general storage. And I noticed some of the more expensive ones (TS-453A or DS416PLay) have AES-NI support. I've seen some reviews that suggest decent throughput on these AES-NI equipped NAS's as openssl will utilise the hardware acceleration. But the other option is a cheaper NAS and spending the money saved on a new router. However, I can't find much info on the performance of routers such as the Asus RT-AC3200 when running openvpn as server rather then client.

Ofcourse there may be an option I've missed, so happy to be steered in a different direction.

Essentially I'm looking for a secure, efficient, fast, "cheap" openvpn server appliance. If it can lay golden eggs all the better :D

Any help greatly appreciated.

gb7777
OpenVpn Newbie

Re: Hardware options for running openvpn server

Post by gb7777 » Sat Apr 29, 2017 10:18 am

Looking around, one of my other options is to pickup a cheap mini router such as the GL-AR300M. It would do me for now as it would almost saturate my current upload (from the few threads I've found). Then when I get FTTP I can invest in something more hefty (hopefully some better embedded options are released in the meantime).

My only concern is wether it will be secure. i.e. receive regular security updates. I believe they run openwrt so perhaps it will be ok.