Tunnel/Bridging/mDNS

This forum is for general conversation and user-user networking.

Moderators: TinCanTech, TinCanTech, TinCanTech, TinCanTech, TinCanTech, TinCanTech

ben.humpert
OpenVpn Newbie

Tunnel/Bridging/mDNS

Post by ben.humpert » Fri Apr 28, 2017 8:23 am

Hi everybody,

we have a dedicated server on which software runs that creates one or more mDNS video streams. That server has a single ip address which is a public one. We have one or more clients who need to access that server (push data onto it and pull data from it, including a SMB share). I setup OpenVPN as a tunnel (dev tun) and once the server and client is connected a client can access a share on the server and vice-versa. Everything works fine except mDNS.

I found out that one solution to the mDNS problem is to setup a bridge instead of a tunnel but as far as I understood it, it would connect the networks of both (server and client) together. Since the server is directly connected to the internet I doubt that this approuch would be a good idea.

The other solution would be to use a mDNS Repeater. I found Blaser mDNS Repeater and based on the settings possible and its description it should route mDNS from the servers public IP (on which the mDNS happens) to the private ip (thus into the tunnel) but I still don't receive any mDNS on the client.

I also used the workaround advised by Microsoft to set the VPN NIC from "Public" to "Private" or "Work" but that didn't helped too.

Any help is highly appreaciated!

Pippin
Forum Team

Re: Tunnel/Bridging/mDNS

Post by Pippin » Fri Apr 28, 2017 9:32 am

I read about Avahi could be a solution?