Client also making connections to port 80

This forum is for general conversation and user-user networking.

Moderators: TinCanTech, TinCanTech, TinCanTech, TinCanTech, TinCanTech, TinCanTech

pwnedvpn
OpenVpn Newbie

Client also making connections to port 80

Post by pwnedvpn » Wed Mar 08, 2017 6:01 pm

Apart from the tunnel I also notice on my firewall outbound connections to the VPN server address port 80.

On Windows 7 with no DNS on the main network adapter and even when only using one program for example Firefox.

This happens when using NordVPNs default .ovpn client config which looks very typical. It does not happen when using PIAs client config which is similar so I imagine its a server side issue.

Blocking this connection makes no difference for my usability and this further raises suspicion for me that something is very wrong.

I do not know much about networking and have never set up a OpenVPN server. My firewall has been professionally set up and the outbound connection on port 80 is coming from my windows machine and not the router itself.

I hope I have asked on the right website, I initially tried reddit and could not get an answer and was directed here.

I would appreciate even any guesses to what is happening, if its a risk or even if its normal behaviour.

Thanks.

TinCanTech
OpenVPN Protagonist

Re: Client also making connections to port 80

Post by TinCanTech » Wed Mar 08, 2017 6:09 pm

Please ask your question concisely :-

pwnedvpn
OpenVpn Newbie

Post by pwnedvpn » Wed Mar 15, 2017 2:04 pm

Sorry should I delete this and post a new thread?

Concisely: Why would OpenVPN make a second concurrent connection to the VPN server?

TinCanTech
OpenVPN Protagonist

Post by TinCanTech » Wed Mar 15, 2017 5:04 pm

The only reason is because you are running openvpn more than once.

pwnedvpn
OpenVpn Newbie

Post by pwnedvpn » Sat Mar 25, 2017 9:40 am

Well how secure is the Windows OpenVPN client because from what I have seen, not very....

I have noticed another issue too but if this wont be addresses I doubt the other would either.

My firewall picks up things that should not be happening with a VPN and no port forwarding.

And I have no DNS leaks because I use DNS Crypt with regular DNS blocked and the ethernet adapter with a blank value for DNS.

Lesson learned: Dont use a Windows VPN that is flagged and preferebly use one that doesnt allow torrenting I guess!