How to use a second openvpn set of credentials?

This forum is for general conversation and user-user networking.

Moderators: TinCanTech, TinCanTech, TinCanTech, TinCanTech, TinCanTech, TinCanTech

bluecloud
OpenVpn Newbie

How to use a second openvpn set of credentials?

Post by bluecloud » Mon Mar 06, 2017 9:07 pm

This is going to sound silly but anyways...at one location, I was given an ovpn file and after installing openvpn 2.3 it has worked well. Windows 7 environment; after starting openvpn, it's in the taskbar; I right click it's icon there and click Connect and it does connect.

Now I have another location that wants me to use openvpn. I updated to openvpn 2.4 in the meantime. All I was given for this location was an ip address and a password; ie no ovpn file.

I have read the docs on this and as a newb they were kind of difficult. I think I need to create another ovpn file. I don't see that an ip address and a password are enough. I used the TAP-Windows menu entry to create a new adapter (as I understand it). But I don't see how it all fits together.

[1] Don't I need additional server setting info from the new location?
[2] I assume that once I have to ovpn files in the correct location the openvpn client will offer "connect to A" and "connect to B"?
[3] Do I use the TAP Windows adapter port in the ovpn file or do I need the port from the server?

TinCanTech
OpenVPN Protagonist

Re: How to use a second openvpn set of credentials?

Post by TinCanTech » Mon Mar 06, 2017 10:32 pm

Are you using Openvpn Access Server ?

Please see:
HOWTO: Request Help !

bluecloud
OpenVpn Newbie

Post by bluecloud » Mon Mar 06, 2017 11:56 pm

I don't have any idea what they are using on the server side.

TinCanTech
OpenVPN Protagonist

Post by TinCanTech » Tue Mar 07, 2017 12:39 am

bluecloud wrote:Now I have another location that wants me to use openvpn. I updated to openvpn 2.4 in the meantime. All I was given for this location was an ip address and a password; ie no ovpn file.
You need their client config file.
bluecloud wrote:I have read the docs on this and as a newb they were kind of difficult
Keep trying :mrgreen:

HOWTO: For OpenVPN Community Edition