Routing web traffic from a client through a vpn provider

This forum is for general conversation and user-user networking.

Moderators: TinCanTech, TinCanTech, TinCanTech, TinCanTech, TinCanTech, TinCanTech

trevmlt
OpenVpn Newbie

Routing web traffic from a client through a vpn provider

Post by trevmlt » Mon Feb 27, 2017 3:09 am

Hello

I have recently set up a AC3100 with both OpenVPN client and server (using Asuswrt-Merlin FW380.65). The server is using Tun, TCP on 443.

I have the server operating correctly on the AC3100. I can connect to the VPN server with my iphone while on LTE (not wifi) and access all of my computers by their static lan IP addresses.

I have also verified the client side is working on the LAN side (ipchicken shows an IP from a different country when checking from each of my computers).

The final piece I cannot figure out, is how to direct web traffic on the iphone through the VPN provider (Newshosting) like my computers, when my iphone is connected to the OpenVPN server. I can surf the web with the iphone when on a different network outside of my home and connected to the OpenVPN server, but the IP address identified when visiting ipchicken from the iphone is my home IP address from my ISP, not the VPN providers address.

My home lan ip range is 10.169.2.0/25 and the OpenVPN subnet is the default 10.8.0.0/255.255.255.0

I am sure this is a routing issue, but I cannot figure it out. I don't know if there is something I need to do on the server, or the client config to get the web traffic that may occur when a client connects to the server to go through my VPN provider IP rather than my ISPs IP.

Any help would be much appreciated. I tried to search for this, but I am new to this, and could't come up with even the right question to ask.

TinCanTech
OpenVPN Protagonist

Re: Routing web traffic from a client through a vpn provider

Post by TinCanTech » Mon Feb 27, 2017 11:07 am

Try this in google:

Code: Select all

site:forums.openvpn.net policy based routing
Policy based routing is probably the best option.