Installation Assistance - Please

This forum is for general conversation and user-user networking.

Moderators: TinCanTech, TinCanTech, TinCanTech, TinCanTech, TinCanTech, TinCanTech

heinrich
OpenVpn Newbie

Installation Assistance - Please

Post by heinrich » Sat Feb 18, 2017 1:58 am

My VPN provider suggested to replace my current version of openvpn 2.3.10 with the most recent latest version.
I downloaded openvpn-2.4.0.tar.gz and extracted the files. The directory named: openvpn-2.4.0 is now located in Downloads.

I am completely overwhelmed by the documentation pertinent to openvpn. It's all very technical & confusing to me and request expanded assistance installing OpenVPN 2.4.0 -- released on 2016.12.27.

I can not figure out on use the instruction as shown below:
Linux Notes (without RPM)
If you are using Debian, Gentoo, or a non-RPM-based Linux distribution, use your distro-specific packaging mechanism such as apt-get on Debian or emerge on Gentoo.
It is also possible to install OpenVPN on Linux using the universal ./configure method. First expand the .tar.gz file:
tar xfz openvpn-[version].tar.gz
Then cd to the top-level directory and type:
./configure
make
make install
I am not a technical person and don't understand "Then cd to the top-level directory". I tried various approaches but did not succeed installing openvpn.
Would an expert please provide a step-by-step command for me to enter in to the Konsole Terminal to install opnvpn successfully. As mentioned above the directory named: openvpn-2.4.0 is now located in Downloads.
Thanks you in advance for your understanding and kind assistance.

TinCanTech
OpenVPN Protagonist

Re: Installation Assistance - Please

Post by TinCanTech » Sat Feb 18, 2017 3:14 am

heinrich
OpenVpn Newbie

Post by heinrich » Sat Feb 18, 2017 3:20 am

I had a look at this already. Not helpful, not helpful at all! Welcome to the wonderful world of Linux, oh well!

TinCanTech
OpenVPN Protagonist

Post by TinCanTech » Sat Feb 18, 2017 3:53 am

There are literally thousands of helpful pages on this website and you have skimmed one.

Try harder ..