IPVanish Openvpn and IPTV

This forum is for general conversation and user-user networking.

Moderators: TinCanTech, TinCanTech, TinCanTech, TinCanTech, TinCanTech, TinCanTech

Nuno18
OpenVpn Newbie

IPVanish Openvpn and IPTV

Post by Nuno18 » Thu Dec 22, 2016 8:07 pm

Hello!

I am from Portugal and I use an IPTV service from an operator. My router is a Netgear R7000 with the Firmware Asus-Xwrt 380.65, and the problem I have happens when I connect the openvpn client through IPVANISH, some IPTV services stop working, I can not access them, shutting openvpn all IPTV services back to work.

The strange thing is that I have several fixed ips of my network added in the option police rules and none of these ips is the one of the box that supports the service IPTV.

What is causing these problems when I call vpn?

TinCanTech
OpenVPN Protagonist

Re: Openvpn and IPTV

Post by TinCanTech » Thu Dec 22, 2016 8:18 pm

Connecting to IPVANISH from your router will cause this behaviour.

Nuno18
OpenVpn Newbie

Post by Nuno18 » Fri Dec 23, 2016 12:48 pm

TinCanTech wrote:Connecting to IPVANISH from your router will cause this behaviour.
But this did not happen before because I had the router to work with vpn and iptv with the same rules I have now defined!

TinCanTech
OpenVPN Protagonist

Post by TinCanTech » Fri Dec 23, 2016 3:13 pm

IPVanish will redirect your client gateway which means your IPVanish client will direct (almost) everything over the IPVanish VPN.

Nuno18
OpenVpn Newbie

Post by Nuno18 » Fri Dec 23, 2016 3:51 pm

TinCanTech wrote:IPVanish will redirect your client gateway which means your IPVanish client will direct (almost) everything over the IPVanish VPN.
But if I defended in the police rules only for certain clients to pass through vpn, should not that rule be respected?

Pippin
Forum Team

Re: IPVanish Openvpn and IPTV

Post by Pippin » Fri Dec 23, 2016 4:10 pm

Your IPTV client(s) go through OpenVPN?

IPTV providers tend to block known IP`s from VPN providers.

Nuno18
OpenVpn Newbie

Post by Nuno18 » Fri Dec 23, 2016 4:16 pm

Pippin wrote:Your IPTV client(s) go through OpenVPN?

IPTV providers tend to block known IP`s from VPN providers.
No, the ip of the IPTV service is outside the VPN.

TinCanTech
OpenVPN Protagonist

Post by TinCanTech » Fri Dec 23, 2016 4:23 pm

Nuno18 wrote:My router is a Netgear R7000 with the Firmware Asus-Xwrt 380.65, and the problem I have happens when I connect the openvpn client through IPVANISH, some IPTV services stop working
I presume the openvpn client is running on your router.
Nuno18 wrote:
TinCanTech wrote:IPVanish will redirect your client gateway which means your IPVanish client will direct (almost) everything over the IPVanish VPN.
But if I defended in the police rules only for certain clients to pass through vpn, should not that rule be respected?
I do not know how your router works but I expect that IPVanish servers --push redirect-gateway which will change your routers routing ..

Do you also run openvpn as a server on your router for you to connect to ?

Nuno18
OpenVpn Newbie

Post by Nuno18 » Fri Dec 23, 2016 5:28 pm

TinCanTech wrote:
Nuno18 wrote:My router is a Netgear R7000 with the Firmware Asus-Xwrt 380.65, and the problem I have happens when I connect the openvpn client through IPVANISH, some IPTV services stop working
I presume the openvpn client is running on your router.

Yes, the openvpn router run in my router.
Nuno18 wrote:
I do not know how your router works but I expect that IPVanish servers --push redirect-gateway which will change your routers routing ..

This option I do not have in the advanced configuration of openvpn, do you think it is necessary? Will not have incompatibilities with "Redirect Internet traffic: Police rules"?

Do you also run openvpn as a server on your router for you to connect to ?
Yes, I also run an openvpn server on the router to be able to connect to the home network.