Guideline for configuration for OpenVPN client serving LAN

This forum is for general conversation and user-user networking.

Moderators: TinCanTech, TinCanTech, TinCanTech, TinCanTech, TinCanTech, TinCanTech

Maya Morpheos
OpenVpn Newbie

Guideline for configuration for OpenVPN client serving LAN

Post by Maya Morpheos » Wed Jul 26, 2017 8:55 am

Hello,

I could use some help configuring OpenVPN to insulate/provide privacy for a LAN from the Internet with an OpenBSD Router

[Goal] Route all Internet traffic to/from the LAN through the third party commodity VPN.

[Restrictions] I am using XXXX VPN services but have a PC as an OpenBSD gateway / router. XXXX does not offer clients for OpenBSD and I don't want to waste the time to install a linux router such as DD-Wrt. so I am using OpenVPN with the VPN provider's standard certs and slightly edited config files. The LAN consists of several wired clients and several wireless clients. The OpenBSD router has two physical Ethernet ports [wan:internet] + [lan]. The cable from the router's lan port goes to the wan port on an older netgear wifi router that has been turned into a wifi access point / ethernet switch (running in access point mode) behind the OpenBSD router / firewall.

[Status] Routing from the Internet to all machines in the LAN works fine on the clear net but I seem to lose DNS on the LAN machines but not on the router itself when I open up a tunnel device and bring up OpenVPN. I can dig / ping external internet IP addresses from the LAN Machines but can not view them in a web browser. The VPN resolves websites fine in a browser running directly on the gateway/router machine but fails on downstream machines.

I suspect the problem is something to do with DNS configuration/serving from the router or with pf (firewall) configuration on the router (ports blocked or lack of appropriate NAT set up?). Can anyone provide me a concrete plan of attack to get this up? I am a relative novice.

Thanks

TinCanTech
OpenVPN Protagonist

Re: Guideline for configuration for OpenVPN client serving LAN

Post by TinCanTech » Wed Jul 26, 2017 10:48 am

Your problem has nothing to do with OpenVPN.

If you need further help: tincanteksup <at> gmail

Maya Morpheos
OpenVpn Newbie

Post by Maya Morpheos » Wed Jul 26, 2017 4:40 pm

I emailed you. Let me know what you think. Make sure my email does not get flagged as spam. Yandex thought it was spam. But it just had routing tables, etc.

TinCanTech
OpenVPN Protagonist

Post by TinCanTech » Wed Jul 26, 2017 6:44 pm

Google decided to over ride my anti spam settings. (email now received)

You know what google can do .. [expletive deleted]