Why is my IP Address still visible? VPNBOOK

This forum is for general conversation and user-user networking.

Moderators: TinCanTech, TinCanTech, TinCanTech, TinCanTech, TinCanTech, TinCanTech

tdr
OpenVpn Newbie

Why is my IP Address still visible? VPNBOOK

Post by tdr » Wed Jul 20, 2016 9:53 am

I was wondering if someone could help me with my VPN set-up?

I don't really know much about how they work, I know what they do, but not exactly how they route to and from the VPN server, or what data is sent. I also don't know much about installing VPN's or their settings.

I installed OpenVPN a few months ago and got some config files from VpnBook, and when I tested it by checking my IP Address, while the VPN was on, by checking websites like whatismyipaddress.com and google searches for 'my ip' I would get the IP Address of the VPN rather than my own local IP Address.

Then, a couple of weeks ago I noticed that a website knew what country I was in, even though the VPN was activated. So I checked the IP Address checking websites again and I got my own local IP Address listed instead of the VPN's IP Address.

I don't if this has anything to do with port forwarding (nor what that even means, really) or if there's something else causing this. But I'd be extremely grateful for any help that anyone could offer. :)

TinCanTech
OpenVPN Protagonist

Re: Why is my IP Address still visible? VPNBOOK

Post by TinCanTech » Wed Jul 20, 2016 11:43 am

Is this a Paid or Free account ?

stevenwilliams
OpenVpn Newbie

Post by stevenwilliams » Mon Aug 08, 2016 12:02 pm

If your real IP address is displayed on web sites when VPN is connected, that means OpenVPN GUI software doesn't have enough rights in the system. You need to close OpenVPN GUI in system tray to fix that.
1. Click on the OpenVPN GUI shortcut with right mouse button and choose "Settings", then open tab "Compatibility" and check the checkbox on "Run this application with administrator rights".
2. Run OpenVPN GUI not by double clicking on the shortcut, but click once on it with right mouse button and choose "Run as administrator".

GlennSam
OpenVpn Newbie

Post by GlennSam » Tue Aug 23, 2016 7:38 am

TinCanTech wrote:Is this a Paid or Free account ?
VPNbook is a free service.
But how does it affect to IP hiding?

TinCanTech
OpenVPN Protagonist

Post by TinCanTech » Tue Aug 23, 2016 12:50 pm

If you are a paying customer then you have every right to complain to VPNBOOK ..